Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fab Five ... week ending January 31, 2009

This week a focused "Fab Five" on the ministry of Care Net! Check out the website ... www.cpccoastalga.org!

1. My sweet friend, Cyndie, who is the Center Director here in Brunswick. Cyndie has the best heart and is so compassionate to those who come to Care Net. She is a great example for all of us in loving others!

2. Just having the opportunity to share the HOPE we have in Christ alone with people who are in a crisis and feeling very much as if there is no hope.

3. The lessons I learn from the clients I see each week ... there are some very brave & strong women who have been through things I cannot even imagine and yet they want to be the very best parents they can. I have learned so much from walking a portion of life's journey beside them and I am grateful for the imprint each has left on my heart.

4. Ultrasound! I guess I am equally thankful for and amazed by this technology. But there is just something so absolutely beautiful and miraculous about seeing that tiny little heartbeat ... I just don't think I could ever get tired of that moment.

5. Breaking down stereotypes and correcting misinformation. I am always excited when I get to share with someone that the ministry we do is not always what they think ... that we empower and equip women and men to parent as best they can; that we don't "just give stuff away" - our clients make a commitment to grow and learn and be healthy; and my very favorite - sharing all the choices available and helping women sort through their choices to find the one that works for them - not just now but 10 years (and even further) from now.

Obviously I am absolutely pro-life ... but I must say, there have been times (many!) when I have been sitting in a counseling room with a woman facing a crisis pregnancy and listened to her explain why she has to end her pregnancy and have been so honest to say to her, "You know, I think I would feel the same way you do if I were in your situation." There is something about that kind of honesty - that deep acceptance of people where they are - that is frees me to really listen and allows me to build a relationship with a client wherein I can say, "But, I want you to know ALL of your options." The part of what I do at Care Net that brings me the most joy is letting women know that no matter what choice they make - parenting, adoption, or abortion - there is a love that is so deep and so passionate for them. A love that accepts them and desires a relationship with them. And that love is found only in Christ Jesus. It isn't about what we do - THANK GOD!! He just loves us. Period.

No comments: