Sunday, January 4, 2009

At Home and Everywhere

This morning in my quiet time I read 2 Corinthians 5:9 (HCSB) ~ Therefore, whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to be pleasing to Him.

OUCH! That really stung me because I realized something about myself ... how much more effort I make to please God OUTSIDE my home than INSIDE it. What a terrible reality. It left me shell-shocked. Undoubtedly I am not the only one like this ... and while the thought that it is a common struggle is a nice one, it does nothing to release me from the truth that I must change. I've been pondering all day what those changes may look like ... here's a few that I have come up with:

1. Just putting things away rather than griping that whoever should have, didn't.
2. Realizing that all three of us have different love languages and meeting my husband and daughter's love needs in their languages not mine.
3. Letting little things stay little ... not blowing things out of proportion.
4. Reminding myself to be thankful!
5. Being glad that my daughter wants to be near me instead of wishing for "space"!
6. Praying with and for my family more ... not just when it's convenient for me.
7. Stop rolling my eyes!! (A very bad habit and it really annoys my husband!)
8. Just reading my Bible ... no real agenda, just spending time getting to know the Father. Too often I focus on completing a task, studying for a class, etc ... I want to be content to just "sit" in the presence of the Father as revealed in His Word.

So, that's my start. Just to be pleasing to GOD at all times ... what a great priority.

No comments: